Geelong RSL welfare
The Geelong RSL’s welfare services are the heart of our RSL sub branch and we are here to help all veterans within the Geelong community. If you are in need of assistance, please contact our Welfare Officer to discuss your needs and requirements. Contact Toni Podbury on 0438 062 817 or email welfaregeelongrsl.com.au
Have you ever wondered what happens with the money when you buy a badge or a poppy?
The Victorian RSL has two fundraisers each year – the Anzac Appeal every April and the Poppy Appeal every November. All money raised in those fundraisers is for the welfare and well-being of any member of the Australian Defence Force, past and present
Fifty percent of money Geelong RSL raises is retained by RSL headquarters for wider welfare purposes and 50 percent is used here in the Geelong region. The Geelong RSL spends more than $90,000 a year for welfare-specific purposes, with approximately 70 percent assisting the younger generation of ex and currently-serving ADF members.
Geelong RSL’s support for our veterans includes:
- Medical aids and equipment
- Home maintenance
- Household expenses
- Expenses for our aged care coordinator
- Expenses and training and development for our team of home and hospital visitors,
- Funeral ritual presenters and those who provide commemorative services for aged care facilities, schools and groups
- Outings for the aged and socially isolated and the provision of our bus
- Fees and tuition
- Car repairs and registration
- Financial assistance tailored to individual needs.
The Geelong RSL acknowledges, and is extremely thankful for the generous contributions the Geelong community makes in supporting our veteran community.
If you require assistance please contact the following organisations:
Diversitat Financial Counselling
Diversitat Financial Counselling is a free service available to all residents in Geelong and surrounding areas.
Assistance and information is available over the phone, and in some cases counsellors will meet you in person.
Priority is given to situations where people are vulnerable or disadvantaged.
Financial counselling is a free service funded by Consumer Affairs (Victoria) and the Department of Families, Community Services, Housing and Indigenous Affairs (Commonwealth). As a result, the service we offer is free from any conflict of interest.
Diversitat Financial Counsellors work on the following issues:
- Bills that can’t be paid
- Constant calls from creditors about debts
- Changes to household income and how to manage the change
- Centrelink entitlements
- A range of other financial issues to do with income, expenditure and debts.
Where we cannot assist, we can provide information and referral to other services which might be able to assist.
Please get in touch if you require assistance or would like any information about the RSL, including what’s on at Geelong RSL club, volunteering with the RSL or joining one of the best social clubs in Geelong.